The Dutch organisation Nuffic has awarded a Grant to STC International (Lead Partner) and Partners (CINOP and IHE-DELFT Institute for Water Education). The recipient of the project is Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Maritime University and Chittagong Port Authority. The country of execution is Bangladesh.
The Grant is for implementation of an Institutional Collaboration Project carrying the title “Achieving sustainable solutions in the Maritime & Port sector in Bangladesh by strengthening the capacity of BSMR Maritime University and CPA through strategic Multi Stakeholder Partnership formation”.
The aim of the project is to ensure educational institutes in the Maritime & Port sector perform better at their core tasks, so they are able to bring forward a quality workforce that is a major added value to the economic development of Bangladesh. The project relies on the knowledge, insights, innovations, and eventually solutions for sustainable development that partnerships with different kinds of stakeholders can bring about. In order to create change, educational-, governmental-, private sector- and civil society organisations need to join hands.
- (i) SDG 04: Education system (TVET/HE) is of good quality, relevant and accessible
- (ii) SDG 17 Partnerships between persons and organizations are inclusive and sustainable; organizations key to (sectoral) inclusive development of partner countries are strengthened by inflow of enhanced workforce.
TVET/HE organizations (in the selected partner countries and in NL) perform better their core tasks, firmly embedded in their environment (in line with country/ regional specific labour market needs & aiming at inclusiveness).
To that end, the following must be achieved by the end of the project:
- A Centre of Excellence in Maritime higher education and research is established at BSMR Maritime University Campus.
- New developed labour market relevant curricula for short courses offered by both BSMR Maritime University and CPA Training Institute (CPATI) respectively.
- Establishing Public Private Partnerships (PPPs) +ha+ can change systems and
- Practices in the maritime and port sector institutions.
The activities under the Grant are part of the Orange Knowledge Programme, which is funded by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as part of the Netherlands’ development policy and managed by Nuffic.