In 2015 STC International met with representatives of Empresa Portuaria Nacional de Nicaragua (EPN) during a Dutch maritime mission to Nicaragua. During that meeting the importance of assistance by STC International – in terms of training and consultancy – for EPN and the whole country of Nicaragua became clear.
Since then, the following activities have been executed:
- 2015: Execution of a tailor made training on Logistics, Planning and Intermodal Transport in Nicaragua, coaching and reviewing of training materials from distance and a follow-up visit in situ (three weeks). In total, 28 people participated in the training, composed of 23 staff members of EPN and five participants from Guatemala, being representatives of the National Port Commission (CPN) and the Quetzal Port Company. The training was executed in close collaboration with the Centre of Excellence in Colombia (Cedex), an alliance of STC Group and Universidad del Norte. The training was partially financially supported by NUFFIC.
- 2016-2017: Manager Port Operations programme (MPO). The purpose of the programme was the development of theoretical and practical knowledge of the participants about the management of port operations. This was done through six modules (Transport, Logistic & Maritime English, Human Resource Management, Transport & Terminal Management, Port Economics & Finance, Port Safety & Security) and a Final Case Study. A total of six participants from EPN participated in the MPO programme in Rotterdam. The training was partially financially supported by NUFFIC.
- 2017: Pilots assessment. EPN employed 12 pilots in the various EPN ports. As the pilotage is one of the key operations ensuring a safe and smooth navigation in the Nicaraguan ports, enhancing the quality of the pilotage operations is a valuable contribution to the EPN overall objectives. Therefore, STC International executed an assessment – holistic approach towards the pilotage operations – in the ports of Corinto and Sandino. As result of the assessment a proposal for a refresher, simulator assisted pilots training to be executed in Rotterdam, was presented.
- 2017: Maritime, Transport and Logistics Alumni Event: latest developments and follow-up based on the TMT courses were executed (partially) with Cedex and in cooperation with EPN. A total of 28 alumni from Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Colombia participated in the event. The project was partially financially supported by NUFFIC.
- 2018: Manager Port Operations program (MPO). A total of 3 participants from EPN participated in the MPO program in Rotterdam (one of them with the support of NUFFIC).
- 2018: As result of the proposal for a refresher, simulator assisted pilots training to be executed in Rotterdam, the first group of pilots (three pilots in total) will be trained in Rotterdam during two weeks, starting on the 16th of September 2018.
Currently, the planning for the training of the other two groups of pilots (6 pilots in total) is being discussed.